Tuesday, August 16, 2011

THIS DAY WAS PASSED IN THE SAME ROUTINE AS THAT WHICH PRECEDED IT...


That has pretty much been my routine since Frankenstein started up again. My little Boston Terrier wakes me up in the morning. I consume some breakfast and coffee while discussing the golden age that I was mistakenly plucked from and placed into this hi-tech one. I enter my studio, sit at my desk and ink out black and white comics which will become segments of the creature's story in the big volume that is Gris Grimly's Frankenstein.

But this week there has been a slight change. Instead of the bold and contrasty black and white of every page before, I reached a point where I could add simple grey tones. I am introducing a new element to each chapter of the creature's story which symbolizes the development of his mind. The first chapter was all black and white. This chapter is flat gray tones.

Another thing that is interesting in these early pages is the lack of words. I would like to portray the creature's developing mind through his innocent interpretation. During this time, he does not speak or understand language. So the world he is interpreting is completely visual. Not only will his developing eyesight/brain be represented by a transition from black and white to color, his developing hearing/comprehension will be represented by a transition from icons to words.

All very meta.

Here is the text that is represented in the story of this page. The first paragraph of the chapter will be printed as a transition from the present (where the creature is relaying his story to Victor Frankenstein) to his past memories:

"I lay on my straw, but I could not sleep. I thought of the occurrences of the day. What chiefly struck me was the gentle manners of these people; and I longed to join them, but dared not. I remembered too well the treatment I had suffered the night before from the barbarous villagers, and resolved, whatever course of conduct I might hereafter think it right to pursue, that for the present I would remain quietly in my hovel, watching, and endeavouring to discover the motives which influenced their actions.

The cottagers arose the next morning before the sun. The young woman arranged the cottage, and prepared the food; and the youth departed after the first meal.

This day was passed in the same routine as that which preceded it. The young man was constantly employed out of doors, and the girl in various laborious occupations within. The old man, whom I soon perceived to be blind, employed his leisure hours on his instrument, or in contemplation. Nothing could exceed the love and respect which the younger cottagers exhibited towards their venerable companion. They performed towards him every little office of affection and duty with gentleness; and he rewarded them by his benevolent smiles."

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! I like the last panel the best, though I must say the entire page was wonderfully portrayed!

    ReplyDelete