Friday, August 24, 2012

ALMOST IN GRASP OF MY ENEMY...

Here's your page (or should I say spread) of the week!

In this spread, Frankenstein is hot on the trail, as he pursues his wretched creation. The monster leads him farther and farther north. Global warming must have been a concern of Mary Shelley's, because as she writes, the surface of the ice breaks apart knocking Victor from his voyage. A few of his dogs die and his sled is destroyed. Then, like a beacon from the heavens, he notices Walton's ship at a distance.

Here is the text for these pages:

Oh! with what a burning gush did hope revisit my heart! warm tears filled my eyes, which I hastily wiped away, that they might not intercept the view I had of the demon; but still my sight was dimmed by the burning drops, until, giving way to the emotions that oppressed me, I wept aloud.

 But now, when I appeared almost within grasp of my enemy, my hopes were suddenly extinguished, and I lost all trace of him more utterly than I had ever done before. A ground sea was heard; the thunder of its progress, as the waters rolled and swelled beneath me, became every moment more ominous and terrific. The sea roared; and, as with the mighty shock of an earthquake, it split, and cracked with a tremendous and overwhelming sound.

 In this manner many appalling hours passed; several of my dogs died; and I myself was about to sink under the accumulation of distress, when I saw your vessel riding at anchor, and holding forth to me hopes of succour and life.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I really admire your work. And I love that you are doing Frankenstein true to the story written by Shelley. Such an intense story that is always so lost in modern translation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so hope this will be out soon, I haven't added Frankenstein to my classic horror library yet because I want this version. I haven't even read it yet. Xp I want this one to be my first time of reading the story, like Gris(or you if you read the comments) did with Poe all those many years ago and I've been in love with both ever since.

    ReplyDelete